Friday, November 27, 2009

Gingerbread Crawkies


This is my raw version of gingerbread cookies. Just the spices alone are enough to bring you back to those Christmas memories as a kid. If you chill the dough for a while, you can roll it out really thin and then even cut them into little gingerbread men. I didn't have any cookie cutters, otherwise I would have done that. If you have a dehydrator, you can use that to make a crispy cookie. I don't have one, so I put my oven on the lowest temp and baked them for about an hour. I saved half of the dough and rolled them into balls and kept them in the refrigerator to save their nutritional value and have snacks for my daughter. Both are great, but I gotta admit, the crispy cookies are my favorite. Oh yea, and you can use fresh grated ginger instead of powdered if you prefer.




Gingerbread Crawkies


Makes about 18-20 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup dates, soaked for about an hour, pits removed
1/2 cup hazelnuts, ground to a flour
1/2 cup flaxseeds, ground
1 cup oats, ground to a flour
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1 tbspn raw honey or agave nectar
1/4 tspn sea or crystal salt
1 tspn cinnamon
1/2 tspn ground cloves
1/4 tspn ground ginger
1/4 tspn cardamom


1. Combine everything except honey and dates.
2. Blend dates into a paste. You may have to add a little water to get the blender going.
3. Combine date paste with the dry ingredients and stir in honey. Work the dough a little bit and refrigerate to get a hard dough that you can roll out really thin.
4. Cut into shapes and bake, dehydrate, or just keep it raw.

1 comment:

Eat To Live said...

You have a lot of GREAT recipes here. I am following you in case you post more.

I am on a mission to check out blogs that interest me and follow them. Hopefully you will stop by my blog and possibly follow me back.

My Journey With Candida
http://myjourneywithcandida.blogspot.com/